[tech] AC: from square to round

Hola:

	I'm interested in swapping the 90A alternator and round AC compressor from
the A2? into my '81 Mk.1.  I have the stock 1.7L EN motor although I have
premonitions of an eventual JH swap.

Is the round compressor more, less or just as efficient as the square York?

Can I ignore most or all of the extra wiring?  In the Mk.1 the radiator fan
doesn't turn on when the AC is switched on.  And, I don't believe that the
idle is boosted either.

Is it possible to swap just the compressor and brackets and some hoses while
retaining the original evaporator and condenser?

Will the pulleys line up or is this project doomed to an endless cycle of
shimming and custom fabrication?

If someone could provide a detailed laundry list of parts and their
respective donors, I'd be very grateful.

If it's not clear by now, I'd like to effect this swap with the minimum of
work.  Ever grateful, benton-----