Re: [86 8v, JH] engine start problems

Oliver,
I've had a similar problem with my Mk1 Scirocco's with CIS.

>Hi -- in tracking down my engine problems (86 8v, JH engine) I'm having
>the following behaviour.
>
>I'll start the car cold, and my idle speed will be relatively low (around
>700RPM; I don't have an idle speed boost valve) and the engine runs rough.
>After a short period of time (on the order of 10 seconds) the RPMs will go
>up to normal speed (950 RPM) and all will sound well. If instead of
>leaving it idling I rev it up to 3000 RPM a couple of times, the idle
>speed goes normal much quicker.

Sounds like the auxiliary air regulator if you have a JH motor, and
you are running CIS injection. It should be on the back of the intake
plenum. It will have two small hoses running out of each end and
if I am not mistaken opens up and bypasses the TB when the engine
is cold and closes once the engine is warm.
To check it, I pulled mine off, put it in the freezer for about 1 min. and
checked it (should be open when you look through the center of it
where the hoses mount up) then I immediately put it in the oven at
lowest setting for about 1 min and checked it (it should be closed).
Mine did not pass the test, so I went to the local pick-a-wreck pulled
two of them, brought them home tested them and the problem was
solved, plus I now have a spare.

>This doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time (I've got in the
>habit of starting it and revving it a bit right away to get the idle speed
>normal).

This could be because sometimes the engine may be warm enough
(driven the car earlier in the day) and it doesn't need the bypass ?
Could be something else, but this one's easy enough to check.
Hope this helps.

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc