Brighter tail lights 8)

Just finished setting up my Mk1 taillights so that
both the parking and brake lights are now dual
element. 4 lights for parking lights and 4 for braking.
Much better now 8)

It was so simple, sheesh I should have thought
of this a long time ago.

This is what I did.
1. Pulled the metal light holder plate from the back of the
    lens, disconnected the wires noting which wires went
    to which bulbs.
2. Went to the local pick-a-wreck and pulled 4 front
    turn signal bulb sockets with wires from Mk1, or
    Mk2 Scirocco.
3. (back home) Popped out the four (2 each plate)
    bulb sockets for the inner park/brake lights.
4. Dremeled off the grounding tabs that stand up from
    plate at these 4 locations.
5. Test fit the new sockets to the plate noting with a
    felt tip pin where to file or dremel away material so
    that the double filament bulb "tits" (no jokes here
    please :)  ) will fit through the plate.
6. Drill 1/8" hole through the plate and, holding the
    socket in place, through the plastic socket.
7. Use small tie wrap or machine screw/nut through
    the holes to secure socket to plate.
8. Put bulbs in sockets and install in back of rear lens.
9. Using the wires that came with the new sockets,
    jump one wire from the brake spade to the new
    socket that used to be the parking light location.
10. Do the same with a wire from the parking light
      spade to new socket that used to be the brake
      light location.
11. Connect all spades to all appropriate sockets.
11. Take both brown wires from the new sockets and
      jump them to the stock ground location on the plate.
12. Do the same procedure to the other taillight.
13. Test to make sure that you have four taillights with
      your parking lights on and that you have 4 brighter
      brake lights when you actuate the brake pedal.

This is the way I did it for now, took me all of 1.5 hrs,
and that included the time to go pull the sockets out
of the donor Scirocco's. Talk about using all factory
parts, actually all Scirocco parts.

I will be putting 2 relays inline with the brake and parking
light wires to provide the added juice but it looks great
even without it for now.

At least those pesky tailgaters will see me before they
smash into the backend of my beloved Scirocco.
If anyone want's pictures of the process, just let me know.
Hope this works for someone else out there as well :)

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - soon to be 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc