Re: Fake cat (meow :) )

At 02:13 PM 2/14/00 -0800, Randy B wrote:

>Eric,
>That sounds like a good idea, but a couple questions.

well at least it seemed like a good idea at the time;)

>1. If you use a high flow cat. and 2" exhaust instead of the
>stock one and the 1 5/8"? stock exhaust you gain a few hp
>from less restriction right?

yep, right

>2. How much extra hp are you gaining with the straight pipe
>idea over the 2" high flow cat with 2" exhaust?

none but thats not the point.  He said he wanted to pass the VISUAL test
and a straight pipe cat would *probably* do this.  It should also not
affect power much, if at all over no cat.  It is also cheaper that 200 or
so for a high flo cat.
I dont think he was looking for more performance but at the same time i
dont think you would want worse performance either.

>3. Will it pass the sniffer test without a cat.
>
>I have considered this in the past but I always feared
>not passing the sniffer so I got a high flow 2" cat.

No idea, havent ever had to worry about it (gotta love Iowa for that).
I've got nothing but a super turbo and 2 1/4".  I would guess that he
should have no problems passing given a good running engine.  IMO, cats are
shit and do next to nothing anyway.
   I also remembered after i posted that you arent *supposed* to be able to
buy used ones in a yard, but if you knew anyone that worked at one im sure
they would let you throw a couple in your trunk if you were buying some
other stuff.  Or if someone had one sitting around in their garage you
could get one that way.

hope i answered your ?'s, dont think for a second that I'm experienced in
actually doing this:)  I've never made a fake cat before, nor do i need to;
but im pretty sure it would work.
just throwin out ideas to see if i can help out.

later,
Eric