Re: Oil pan gasket change gone very bad

Note that the torque spec for oil pan bolts actually calls for a RE-torque
(hey, is this a diesel cylinder head or an oil pan??) after a certain
amount of time has gone by (15 minutes?).  Check the Bentley for details
on figures.  I beleive that the bolts stretch slightly as they're torqued
- the Bentley explains why.  Although they are "special" bolts, they are
re-usable, unlike stretchable cylinder head bolts.

I was first introduced to this after putting a new pan on my first Rabbit
- and discovering it leaked badly...  I re-torqued the bolts to spec and
presto - no more leaks.  The same procedure solved a leaking oil pan on
the diesel that I'm driving now - someone else rebuilt the motor and 6
months passed (at least) between the time that the rebuild was done and
the time I retorqued the bolts - the leak is now gone (except where the
&sshole crossthreaded the bolts into the rearmain seal carrier... :( )

..Drew  (84 Wolfsburg Ed. with a smashed drivers side mirror housing
courtesy of a loose load chain from a passing truck... grrrrrr....!)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 Captnbr@aol.com wrote:

> Well last week I changed it, and a week later I am 1 1/2 quarts low and there
> is oil streamed all along the bottom of my car all the way to the tailpipe.
> What did I do wrong, all the bolts are tight.  I asked the guy that sold me
> the gasket, do I need to use any sealer with this and he said no just put it
> on.  So I cleaned all the gunk off the pan and put the new one on. I am so
> pissed because what was a one to two drop of oil per week turned into a 1 1/2
> quart per week leak. ANy hints from anybody who has done this before will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Brian 86 16v
> http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca