Re: Battery re-location Q...

Chris Chemidlin wrote:

> Hey kids...
>
> I'll be moving the battery of the cabby to the trunk (possibly to make room
> for an intercooler!), I got to thinking, can I split a large gauge wire with
> good results?
>
> The ground wire will be in the trunk, but the positive will go all the way
> to the Alternator. I have the alternator with 3 'spade' type connecters. Can
> I take the large positive lead and seperate it into 2 parts with the
> appropriate sized connector?

Yes, you can do this as the cable will combine the two into one again
anyway. Make the split as short as is possible and finish of the ends
with shrink tubing or something similar. You'll want to 'lube' or other
wise coat the wires in the connector and down the cable with something
like Electra-Lube or such to prevent oxidation on down the line.

See the end for a thing to do instead.

> Or would it be a better idea to run the battery to 1 of them and the starter
> to 1 of them? Maybe I should just run the battery to the starter?
>
> Whatcha Think?
>
> CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

DON'T run just one to each of the starter and battery. Better to run
straight to the Starter lug w/ a separate cable to the Alt from there.
The larger the gauge the better. Expense and malleability are factors
which is why you should investigate welding suppliers and surplus
outlets in your area. They will have heavy duty cable useful in extreme
environments, coated with groovy coverings durable enough for hot engine
byproducts. Marine cable is a good bet too.

Now, as you are readying things, and you mention the blade type Alt then
it sounds like a 55/65 Amp unit. The later Alts, those esp. found in
Quantums and Audis run 90 Amps. These units use a bolt type lug to
connect the Hot wire to the car's loom. I'd recommend upgrading to this
later Alt if possible, better/longer battery life, more available
wattage for improved lighting (even in stock applications), greater
ability to ignore the longer length cable you are proposing, yada, yada,
yada.

hth,
T "Oh and don't forget to refurbish and lube all you electrical
contacts" Berk
Did the Jetta's fuse box & relays yesterday.