Dent in down pipe on a 16V

>From: Vaughn8v@aol.com
>Subject: even MORE font end noise!!
>
>Well........
>Okay, it must be the time of year for Scirocco's with front end noise.
>So, my car has     ****SNIP***
>But after climbing underneath the car
>the other day, I discovered that the exhaust hook that the hanger suspends
>right about the catalytic converter is busted from the exhaust pipe...  and
>there is a dent on the underneath of the downpipe right above the
>swaybar.....   aaaha!!!

I've got a dent in a similar location.  Is it very close to where the down
pipe makes the right angle turn to go straight out under the car?  If this
isn't supposed to be there, I imagine my tuned exhaust is not as effective
anymore.

Any knowledgeable listers have some input on the dent?

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco
Anthracite '84 GLI
Eugene, OR