Re: Mk1 fuel system, need help ASAP!

Hi Andre,

I was having problems with my 77 that sound very much like your with the
exception of the fuel pump cutting out.  I'll repost the original post
followed by the solution:

-----------------

Hi All,

A couple of days ago my 77 Roc's gas tank was completely filled.
(a rare occurence) Within a few blocks of the gas station the engine
started to sputter and cough and genrally act like it was starving for
fuel. It then stopped.  If you wait 10 minutes or so the car restarts
runs fine for a few seconds then starts to sputter and cough.  By keeping
my foot on the gas I can keep it running for about 90 sec.

I've already replaced the Fuel Filter with no change in the condition.
My Father suggested I lossen the Gas Cap to releive any vacuum that might
be building up in the tank. I tried this and the symptoms persist.
I've listened to and felt the fuel pump while the car is running.
it seems to be running steady and strong.

I'm kinda running out of Idea's.  One thought I had was that there is a
problem with the Control Pressure Regulator but I do not know how a faulty
regulator would effect the engine.  Any advice or Idea's would be
appriciated.  This is overall a very strong stock 77 engine.
-------------------

And Now how I solved the problem.....

-------------------

Hey All,

You may remember that a couple of weeks back my my 77 Roc was stranded
with fuel injection problems.  Well after a week of running over to the
car to check out various possiblities and comming up with nothing I
decided to have the thing towed to the local VW shop.  You may remember I
suspected blocked fuel lines or a blocked in tank screen.  I looked into
the tank and it was super clean thankfully.  The problem was a crack in
the Air Duct that runs from the air filter to the throttle body. A $57.00
fix!

I Hope this helps.  I'd start by replacing the Fuel Filter.

Ron

77 & 86 Scirocco's