Re: Mk1 fuel system, need help ASAP!

--- Andre' Bjorkheim
<andreb@maxwell.ee.washington.edu> wrote:
> Has anyone known a car not to run because the fuel
> filter was clogged
> soo much, that the pump would overheat and seize or
> shutoff?
>
>     I am trying to diagnose a running problem on a
> 79 rocco that usually
> starts fine, but after about 3 minutes it starts to
> sputter until it
> finally dies.  When I insert a jumper in place of
> the fuel pump relay
> (relay works fine, just dont want to start the car
> for this test) the
> fuel pump doesnt run, but instead jumps around as if
> its either getting
> only pulses of electricity, or the fuel line is
> blocked, or cuz the pump
> is going bad.  I am ruling out bad wiring for the
> moment as some of the
> wiring for that part of the system has been
> upgraded.  Any ideas?

I have had a FF clogged so bad (on my old 1980S) that
it would start up, run OK for half a mile, then
sputter to a halt. After five or ten minutes, it would
start up again, and repeat the half mile thing.

This is a simple test too - $20 for a Bosch FF.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)