Re: Engine swap help...

--- Doctor Scirocco <scirocco@doctor.com> wrote:
> Hello!  I currently have an 80 MK1 with a 1.6 engine.  My friend
> recently totalled his 86 Cabriolet with a nice clean 1.8 - According to
>Eric (Night Shadow), he says the swap should be an easy one, especially
>since my motor mounts are 16V and there have been some upgrades...  Can
>anyone tell me how extensive of work I am looking at to get the 1.8 into
>my car?  There isn't much in my car right now, I took the AC out, and
some >other major obstacles...  Thanks!
> --Brian--

Well, I just rescently completed swapping in a 1.8 JH motor into my 81
rocco (with a 1.7).  I had never done a swap (or any major work) before,
and I thought that the swap was very straight forward.  The only
difference that I can think of was that my 81 had no coolant resevoir, but
the new engine had one...so I had to swap some of the
pipes/plumbing/flanges from my 1.7 to the 1.8 ... the wiring was a
straight plug-in.
  I can tell you one thing...my 81 is soooo much more fun to drive now!
That small change in the engine really gave new life to the rocco...I just
love it.  Now I just think about how much fun a 16v would be!!  ; )~
If you have other questions, just let me know...I'll try to help.

=====