Mk1 fuel system, need help ASAP!

Has anyone known a car not to run because the fuel filter was clogged
soo much, that the pump would overheat and seize or shutoff?

    I am trying to diagnose a running problem on a 79 rocco that usually
starts fine, but after about 3 minutes it starts to sputter until it
finally dies.  When I insert a jumper in place of the fuel pump relay
(relay works fine, just dont want to start the car for this test) the
fuel pump doesnt run, but instead jumps around as if its either getting
only pulses of electricity, or the fuel line is blocked, or cuz the pump
is going bad.  I am ruling out bad wiring for the moment as some of the
wiring for that part of the system has been upgraded.  Any ideas?

  André Bjorkheim
  Lime Green 79 Scirocco ©
  http://idt.net/~volkswgn/profile/pro3.html
  ICQ #266870