Re: Back-up light switch

I did come across the note that was sticking in my mind about this.  In
the A1 diesel Bentley under the section on troubleshooting the upshift
indicator circuit there is a sidebar stating that the switch have been
superceded by a new part number and that changes to the wiring harness may
be required.  I'm assuming that this is 1982 and 1983 switches, as I had
to reloacte 2 pins for the switch I got for my 83 TD Jetta.

When I order the switch at the dealer I say - "I need a reverse light
switch for models with an upshift light."  The response is "Oh, you mean
the expensive funny-looking one?"  I respond "yeah, that's the one."  I
get something that has worked without mods on my 84 Jetta, 84 Scirocco,
and 85 + 86 Jetta and Golf.  The only car I had to repin (which takes all
of 20 seconds) for was my 83 TD Jetta.

If there are different switches available, the local dealer doesn't stock
both, only the most common one - and it really doesn't bother me that
much, because it's easier for me to change a wire as required than it is
to wait for a switch to come in on order.

YMMV

Drew