Re: 16v timing belt q

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 07:00:59 -0800 (PST) Pei-Chung Ting
<chungsteroonie@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Was wondering if you can tension the 16v timing belt
> without using the special tool.  CAn you use some bent
> nose pliers?
>
> -'Chung
Sure, if you can get them in there, whatever it takes, bent needle-nose,
bent circlip pliers, a bent fork, bar stock with 2 holes and 2 small
bolts bolted to it, so that the tips fit into the tensioner pulley.
I finally bought the tool, but when I did my '88 Scirocco, I used a GM
brake pin tool and my Visegrip tool on that and I was able to get enough
tension on it for the proper 45 degree tension.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>