Re: [non] carfax info

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   what's the deal? i enter my vin and get the info about my car (no
> problems). however, when i enter the next car in the sequence (000039)
> there is no car listed. anyone know the reason for the discrepency?

One of the fields in the VIN is a check digit, which is based on a
weighted sum of the other fields in the VIN. If you just bump up the
serial number field, the check digit won't be right. One of those nice
things used to validate VINs...

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html