Re: mk1 purchase. . . advise? Anyone?

Pei-Chung Ting wrote:

> Hello good folks,
>
> I'm about to purchase a mk1 and would like to get some
> info on particulars as I've only dug into 16v
> sciroccos 'til now.  The lighter weight of the mk1's
> is looking better and better though to my eyes.
>
> It's an '80 S that is running very strong with a 1.8
> liter shortblock from an '87 GTI.  From what I
> understand, the '80's had the dual outlet exhaust
> manifolds which is good, no?

Yes, and the 80 + 81 had an O2  sensor fitting in the manifold.

> With CIS injection. . .
> the car is getting 'round 22 mpg.  Is this normal?

Well, it's got a different engine though. Also,  what trans has it
installed. Short ratio trans' have a lower 5th = less overall mpg.

>  My
> 16v's get about 27 ish.  But that has oxy sensor.  It
> has had it's front brakes swapped with better rotors
> and calipers with the rears remaining drum. . . but
> it's 13" rims which means it's not the 16v 10.1"
> setup.  9" ones from a Cabriolet mabe?  Is this car
> solid lifter?

Not sure but they are most likely the Vented rotors from a GTI. (I know
the 84s came w/ 9"-ish vented rotors.)

> My plan was to either cannibolize one of my 16v's
> after re-finishing this one the right way and put all
> the goodies into it. . . which would take time. . .
> which I have.  Or find a crossflow 2.0 to swap in.  Or
> build the motor it has. . .
>
> Or should I just be happy with 2 running 16v's and not
> dream of lighter places?  The car does have a big ding
> along the driver's side due to a scrape with big rig
> lug nuts. . ouch.

Don't let that worry you- Al had a bash on the rear qt. panel. You won't
believe what he was able to do with some 'Gentle Persuasion" :) & a
baseball bat. Use it as a bargaining chip to lower the cost for the
hassle factor.

> I need advise on any of that stuff up there or good
> pointers to bone-head information on mk1's.  History,
> mods, problem areas. . . sorry 'bout the length.
>
> -'Chung

Heh, heh. Mk1s. Funny, I'm looking at a silver mk2 down the street. too.
<sigh>

TBerk
More to follow.