mk1 purchase. . . advise? Anyone?

Hello good folks,

I'm about to purchase a mk1 and would like to get some
info on particulars as I've only dug into 16v
sciroccos 'til now.  The lighter weight of the mk1's
is looking better and better though to my eyes.

It's an '80 S that is running very strong with a 1.8
liter shortblock from an '87 GTI.  From what I
understand, the '80's had the dual outlet exhaust
manifolds which is good, no?  With CIS injection. . .
the car is getting 'round 22 mpg.  Is this normal?  My
16v's get about 27 ish.  But that has oxy sensor.  It
has had it's front brakes swapped with better rotors
and calipers with the rears remaining drum. . . but
it's 13" rims which means it's not the 16v 10.1"
setup.  9" ones from a Cabriolet mabe?  Is this car
solid lifter?

My plan was to either cannibolize one of my 16v's
after re-finishing this one the right way and put all
the goodies into it. . . which would take time. . .
which I have.  Or find a crossflow 2.0 to swap in.  Or
build the motor it has. . .

Or should I just be happy with 2 running 16v's and not
dream of lighter places?  The car does have a big ding
along the driver's side due to a scrape with big rig
lug nuts. . ouch.

I need advise on any of that stuff up there or good
pointers to bone-head information on mk1's.  History,
mods, problem areas. . . sorry 'bout the length.

-'Chung