Re: mk1 purchase. . . advise? Anyone?

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Pei-Chung Ting wrote:
> >
> > Hello good folks,
> >
> > I'm about to purchase a mk1 and would like to get
> some
> > info on particulars as I've only dug into 16v
> > sciroccos 'til now.  The lighter weight of the
> mk1's
> > is looking better and better though to my eyes.
> >
> > It's an '80 S that is running very strong with a
> 1.8
> > liter shortblock from an '87 GTI.  From what I
> > understand, the '80's had the dual outlet exhaust
> > manifolds which is good, no?
>
> Yes, and the 80 + 81 had an O2  sensor fitting in
> the manifold.

All MK1 Sciroccos had dual mainfolds.
1980 had the O2 only on California models.
All 1981 Sciroccos had the O2 fitting.

> > With CIS injection. . .
> > the car is getting 'round 22 mpg.  Is this normal?

22 mpg sucks. A properly tuned MK1 should get no less
than upper 20s. My Golf GT (with RD engine, more
weight and a 9A tranny) gets about 28mpg.

> Well, it's got a different engine though. Also,
> what trans has it
> installed. Short ratio trans' have a lower 5th =
> less overall mpg.
>
> >  My
> > 16v's get about 27 ish.  But that has oxy sensor.
> It
> > has had it's front brakes swapped with better
> rotors
> > and calipers with the rears remaining drum. . .
> but
> > it's 13" rims which means it's not the 16v 10.1"
> > setup.  9" ones from a Cabriolet mabe?  Is this
> car
> > solid lifter?

1980 models came with 9.4" breaks. Going to vented
simply involves swapping rotors and pads.

> Not sure but they are most likely the Vented rotors
> from a GTI. (I know
> the 84s came w/ 9"-ish vented rotors.)
>
> > I need advise on any of that stuff up there or
> good
> > pointers to bone-head information on mk1's.
> History,

start with Scirocco.org . . .

> > mods, problem areas. . . sorry 'bout the length.

HTH

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)