Re: Gauges.

About 2 months ago I did this on my 84.  I cut the ashtray out, and
installed a trimmed guage panel from an A1 Jetta - they all have them in
the lower shifter console - hit a yard and check it out.  All you have to
do is pop out the plastic faceplate that says "JETTA" on it, and there's a
three-guage panel behind it...! The black Jetta console is made of the
same plastic as the Scirocco console, so it matches up if you do a good
job of installing it.  I used black silicone to glue the panel into the
Scirocco's console.  Aside from a mild scuff where I slipped with the
dremel when trimming the Jetta panel, it looks pretty well stock.   The
process from start to finish really only took about 45 minutes, plus an
overnight drying time for the silicone.  I had the console out to install
the stero anayway - but it only takes about 10 minutes to remove it,
provided your stereo wiring isn't a mess...

Hoepfully I'll get some pics up some day.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed.)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Marie Laugesen wrote:

> Has anyone replaced the factory ashtray with gauges before?  I never
> use the ashtray anyway and I have a set of VDO gauges (oil pressure,
> temp, voltmeter) that would fit good there.
>
> Let me know if it's a real PITA.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Marie
> Mars Red 84
> 67 European Beetle
> 61 Convertible Beetle

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca