[engine] dies after driving around in a city (kinda non roc, but our engine)

My friends A1 '83 8v Golf GTI has developed
a strange bug lately. It tends to die after
you have driven around for more than half an
hour in the city. Before death you feel that
there's no power, until it gets so weak that
the car stops completely. Let it rest around
10 minutes it fires up and is ready for another
half an hour. It tends to happen in cold days.

Any ideas?
Feels like it's overheating, but all the dials
showed normal numbers.

Lauri!
'84 1.8 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added nothing new to my site!