Re: Water in the trunk?

Chris,

I have dealt with this with my mk1--it seems there are so many
leaks, so little silicone.  Anyway, a couple of areas I have
attacked are:  around the hatch lock and around the hatch window.
Gaskets are expensive, and if the rubber around the window doesn't
look too dried out, it might be worth trying the old trick of
slipping silicone underneath it.  (Someone on this list told me
about this a long time ago.)

Take the tip of the silicone tube (not cutting too much off the
end, for a medium to fine bead) and push it under the rubber as
you run a bead underneath it, applying enough so just a bit oozes
out from under the rubber.  Smooth out the excess against the
rubber before it sets, doing this in fairly dry and mild weather.
This sounds easier than it is (two people, one with a screwdriver
gently lifting the rubber in front of the tube as you go around
helps), but it does extend the life of the gasket.  And by doing
this, and practically frosting silicone around the lock on my
hatch, I have prevented leaks in the rear, so far.  Now, if I can
just find some door rubber for the driver's side door gasket, I
might stop the leak coming into the floor behind the driver's seat
:(    (In case anyone wants to know, the passenger side gasket is
still available at the dealer.)

Drilling holes is an excellent help, too.  But I like the idea of
trying to prevent the water from getting in there in the first
place, if possible.  The less moisture, the less rust, in the long
haul.  In the pacific NW, rust is the bane of my existence.

Good luck--

Let us know how things work out--

Jennifer
'79 'roc, well-loved