Re: Why my '81 16v won't start? (part 2)

>Well, if it has a different pin number and configuration it may not be
>what you are after.  But I remember talk of people putting later style Mk2
>Fuel pump relays in Mk1s because the later style ones primed, while the
>Mk1 ones didn't.  Maybe this is part of the issue?

I am using the original Scirocco fuel pump, so I should stick to the
scirocco fuel pump relay, no?

>I think you should jumper the fuel pump relay and see if the car works
>though.  The details for this are in the Bently.  It is quite simple!
>Look in the section for checking injector flow.  They describe how to
>jumper it in there.  If the car runs with the fuel pump forced to stay on,
>then you know your problem lies with an incorrect fuel pump relay or fuel
>pump relay wiring.

Well, tell me this.. Even if the fuel pump relay runs because I force it, I
probably won't get any spark. Cause that's what I don't get in the first
place since the fuel pump relay doesn't work.

Am I in some vicious circle here?

I was led to believe no spark would occur if the fuel pump didn't run.

Since my coil isn't sparking correctly because of some bad mystery ground,
wouldn't jumpering the fuel pump be useless?

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v (Winnie)
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon (Evelyn)