Back-up light switch

Hi,
I hope some can/will help. Its not a big deal, but
the reverse lights on my 84 8v don't work. I was looking at the tranny
(5 speed) to find the switch to test it, and when I found it, it does
not look like the one in Bentley or the one that the parts store wanted
to sell me (which was a simple threaded brass switch that screws into
the transmission housing with 2 leads coming off of it). What I found
on my transmission was an rectangular plug with a rubber boot with
multiple connector pins. I assume this is for the reverse lights and
other stuff, but could not find it in any of the pictures in Bentley.
Do these go bad? What all does it control? Any other suggestions to
check?
TIA
-Keith
PS The bulbs are new... :)