Re: [tech] clutch cable?

"doug c." wrote:

> car in question here is my 88 16v...i think the problem may be my clutch cable although i'm not sure...the car starts up fine and idles nicely, but whenever i try to get it moving in first it will not catch and just stalls and dies...
>
> recently i replaced the rear transmission mount as well as all the bushing in the shifter linkages...so it shifts through all the gears fine...
>
> now the thing is, it will run in reverse perfectly...i know the clutch cable needs adjusting, but could this also be causing the car not to catch and stall out going forward, but work in reverse?
>
> TIA
> -doug-

Yeah, sounds like the replacement parts have lined things up
differently, better but now off.

Start with the plate under the shift boot. There might be two sets of
holes in the movable plate that you line up with two other holes in the
'tunnel' (chassis) beneath it.

After these are lined up you should be able to get into 1st and second gear.

There are the splines under the car were the long shaft goes vertical
(hehe) but don't touch that until after you have verified the plate
surrounding the shifter is lined up right.

There is a small gap between the reverse lock out gate and the 'C'
shaped metal under the shifter when you have a helper hold the lever in
the middle of the pattern. The gap is about the width of a cassette case
but the exact measurement escapes me at the moment.

hth,
TBerk