[tech] clutch cable?

car in question here is my 88 16v...i think the problem may be my clutch cable although i'm not sure...the car starts up fine and idles nicely, but whenever i try to get it moving in first it will not catch and just stalls and dies...

recently i replaced the rear transmission mount as well as all the bushing in the shifter linkages...so it shifts through all the gears fine...

now the thing is, it will run in reverse perfectly...i know the clutch cable needs adjusting, but could this also be causing the car not to catch and stall out going forward, but work in reverse?

TIA
-doug-