Re: (Tech) 16V Swap questions

>Hey all,
>I just found a Black 16V for 300. The only thing wrong with it is the body is
>twisted from the PO rolling it over on the passenger side The car is
>completely stock and not in that bad of shape and the PO drove it home after
>rolling. I am thinking of getting it to swap the motor over to my 78.
>
>I plan on swapping the complete motor, complete dash, complete wiring
>harness, leather seats, front and rear disc brakes, and radiator.
>
>What else should I swap?

Master cylinder & prop valves maybe.

>Questions:
>1. Should I run my 4K with Quaiffe and .71 5th or the 16V tranny?

4k, no doubt.

>2. Do I need the fuel pump from the 16V?

No.

>3. Can I use the Power Windows and Door locks?

Definite maybe.  Not directly for sure, but maybe if you rig up a new
mounting area for the motors.  I haven't compared side-by-side mk1
and mk2 doors with the interior panels off.

>4. Can I use the 16V Power Steering?

Yes, if you move the rack, tie rods, pump, lines, etc...obviously. :)

>5. Can I put the 16V kit on my Mk1?

Not really easily, I'd sure be interested in hearing about what it
took though! :)

>6. What can I use off of my 1.8 JH on the 16V?

Not much...keep it for spare nuts and bolts that I'm sure you'll lose in
the conversion.  Yes, even if your anal careful.

>7. Can I use my Oil cooler and sandwich adapter on the 16V?

It's a tight fit, but maybe.  You'll have to do something about bypassing
the stock oil-2-water oil heater/cooler for the 16v.  Might involve a couple
of non-stock custom hoses here.  Go for it and tell us what it takes.

>Thanks for the info
>Masun Dixon
>78 Scirocco

Have fun!  I agree with Per, every Mk1 needs a 16v. :)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net