Re: dusted a Honda

Um, not to call you a liar, but a 4th or 5th gen Prelude could in all likelyhood hand you your ass.  I just sold a 92 SI (DOHC 2.3L, 160hp, 155 lb/ft) that I had prepared for SP autocross.  It was a hell of alot faster than my 88 16v.  There may be something we're not seeing.

Anyhow, FYI, here's the lowdown on 90s Preludes.

92 - 96 = 4th gen.  There were three incarnations.

S = SOHC 2.2L, 135hp.  Pretty weak.  It was the only one that didn't come with alloys.

SI = DOHC 2.3L, 160hp.  Strong car with plenty of torque (for a Honduh).  Came with alloys (for identification) but had no "SI" badge or anything like that.  For 92-94 it was available with 4 wheel steering, which is indicated by a badge (sticker) underneath the Prelude badge on the trunk.

VTEC = DOHC VTEC 2.2L, 190hp.  Fast car.  Not available with an auto.  Can be identified by a VTEC badge (sticker) beneath the Prelude badge on the trunk.  The 93 is the fastest, and should be able to eat just about any stock VW as far as I know.

97+ = 5th gen.

They are all VTEC.  There are two incarnations.

Base = DOHC VTEC 2.2L, 195-200hp (depending on year).  Available with an auto.  Not quite as fast as the 4th gens due to a weight increase, but it's a much stiffer chassis.

SH = same engine as above.  Not available in auto.  Slower still due to the ATTS system which is basically an electronic limited slip of sorts.  Identifiable by a badge and different rims (straight 5 spoke) and a different body kit.

Anyhow, the Prelude is a great car.  I know everybody likes to rag on Hondas, but they are good cars.  Just like VWs, they are built for quality and economy while providing a sporty feel.

Just FYI.

Rusty

>>> "Travis Bedford" <tmb16v@hotmail.com> 12/27/00 04:19 AM >>>
Just rolling home from a frieds house, and a red Prelude wanted to race. It
was the newer body style. Anyway, we finally got to a light and hit it. I
got him off the line and kept it up through third. He was never in the lead.
I seriously doubt it was a VTEC, but it felt good that my 12 yr old car with
160K+ beat this late nineties machine.

Travis.
8816V.