Plug wire resistance

Hi everyone,
     I have a seemingly very old set of plug wires on my 87 16V.  Three of
them have the pull rings on the top with BERU ends, and the other wire is a
stock wire.  Although they don't look that great, I didn't want to shell out
the money for new wires if I didn't have to.  So I went out and purchased a
multi meter.  Looking up the procedure in the Bentley, I removed the wires
one at a time and attached the test leads to both ends and checked the
resistance to see if it was within the listed values.  They were all about
5.4K, except for one that was about 6.3K.  This sucks.  My question though,
is that I had to test each one about three times before getting a consistent
reading. Since the metal end of the spark plug wire which goes on the spark
plug is high up inside the rubber sleeve, I couldn't figure out any better
way to get to it than to put the alligator clips on the test wires and push
the one up until it just touched the metal connector.  There must be a
better way.  I can't even see if it is touching the whole time, which may be
why the value jumped around so much.  I don't have any experience using a
multimeter, so I don't know if there is a different test wire I should be
using to get to the receded end of the spark plug wire.  Regardless, it
looks like I'll be getting a new set of wires.  While on the topic of plug
wires, are the Blue ignitor wires a decent set?  If anyone has any
suggestions, let me know. (I know this topic has been beaten into the ground
before)Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

87 Scirocco 16V