Re: shaved markers.....(long, but good)

Chris Cavitt wrote:

> well i want too shave my handles, markers, badges and rear wiper...
> im trying to gett all the info i can on shaving door handles like prcedures
> arts and shit that i would need...
> but the filling of the rest anyone have a better idea then bondo? i was
> thinking fiberglass but i dont know?
> any help would be cool..
> thanks
> chris

   Chris, I would suggest using a 4" blank plate (electrician's item) as
a backing when shaving the rear side markers.  What I did was I put the
plate up to the backside of the hole, marked the spots on the plate that
correspond to the holes for the marker screws and also I traced the
large hole onto the plate.  I also traced in the interior the outline of
the plate.

  I then drilled the 2 holes for where the screws went, and also about
half a dozen holes inside that circle I traced, into the plate.  I then
scuffed up the paint on the interior (within the traced outline).  I
then checked to make sure that on the exterior of the car in the area of
the side marker had no high spots.  I would also recommend tapping the
screw holes inward a bit, and also the the edges of the circular cutout
for the marker.  This way when you lay down your filler, it doesnt just
fill the round hole, but instead the area in which you tapped in.
Reason being, when your filler dries, you dont want to see the outline
of that hole in a year or two.

  Once you got your plate all drilled you will want to scuff up the side
that will go against the car.  Then apply JB Weld to the metal plate and
to the interior where the plate will sit.  Then using 2 screws,
temporarily screw that place to the interior of where the marker was
(using the 2 old screw holes).  I recommend screwing from the outside
into the inside as if you do it the other way around you will have the
screws sticking out of the car and you will inevitably end up catching
your clothes on it.  Be careful not to get JB Weld on the screws
themselves, or else you cant back them out of the plate.

  After a couple of days have gone by, you can take out the screws and
the plate should remain in placed, cold welded to the inside of the car.
Now where that hole used to be for the sidemarker, there should be only
a silver backing with several small holes in it.  Now you simply need to
apply filler to the outside of the car, over the 2 screw holes and over
the open hole in the body & through the screw holes into the plate.  Put
some filler on the backside of the plate as well, over the screw holes.
This makes it so the filler on the inside is attached to the filler on
the outside.  Let filler dry, and start sanding....

  Regarding my car, so far so good.  Can't even tell there used to be a
hole there.  I have seen a few cars in which they did shave the rear
marker and they didnt tap in the screw holes and the edges of the marker
holes cuz you can distinctly see the outline of the marker hole long
after the filler has dried.  HTH...

 Andre'
 Lime Green 79
 ICQ #76283458