Re: [tech] Tranny rebuild/compatability Q

Replacing the carrier bearings is not so easy. You must use special shims to
adjust freeplay and the book recommends you use a turning torque wrench to
set carrier bearing endplay. If you have done enough 020 trannies you can do
it by hand (feel) and set the freeplay. Also to replace the pinion shaft
bearings you will need a special tool to remove the race from the tranny
housing. IF you think you can do these things then you should have no
problem. Be sure to carefully inspect 1-4 gear selector assy's for cracks
around the detent dogs. It is pretty common on pre'86 trannies for these to
crack and make it impossible to get it into gear. 1-3rd synchros should
ALWAYS be replaced. Thats all I can think of right now. HTH

>In my garage is an 020 tranny out of my 8V Cabriolet.
>It wouldn't downshift into 3rd, so I replaced it.
>Prob. has a bad synchro or gear.  Driveaxle flanges
>are nice and tight.  Has about 90k miles.
>
>In my Scirocco, which needs a clutch BTW, is a nice
>original narrow-ratio 020.  It's synchros seem OK,
>maybe a little worn at 142K miles.  Driveaxle flanges
>are loose and it's leaking at the seals.
>
>Here's what I'm scheming on doing:  When I yank the
>'rocc tranny to replace the clutch, I tear both
>trannies apart, put new synchros on the 'roc gearset,
>and place those shafts into the Cabby tranny with the
>nice tight flange bearings.  Of course, seals,
>gaskets, etc. too.
>
>So...is this brilliant or a brain fart?  What ain't I
>realizing?  Are the driveaxle bearings easy to
>replace, negating the need for the above scheme?
>
>I've not been into a VW tranny before (but have done
>others), and I hear VW synchro replacement is doable
>for a competent home mechanic.
>
>TIA,
>

>=====
>Ron
>'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
>'93 Cab (soon for sale)
>many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past
>watercooleds...

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA