Re: [tech] Tranny rebuild/compatability Q

In a message dated 12/19/00 12:04:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rapieper@yahoo.com writes:

So...is this brilliant or a brain fart?  What ain't I
realizing?

*I* would look into just buying all new bearings and synchros though. It is
not a fun job by any means and I would not want to have to do it twice. The
circlips are a real bastard sometimes, and you want to do a bolt kit while
you're in there as well which really should be done on a drill press. All the
necessary rebuild parts should cost you under $300. The syncros are like $5
each. Trans gasket set, $30 or so...etc.

Are the driveaxle bearings easy to

replace, negating the need for the above scheme?

You need a press to do that.

I've not been into a VW tranny before (but have done
others), and I hear VW synchro replacement is doable
for a competent home mechanic.

Yes, you can do it, but you will need a rather large work area, good supply
of rags and hand cleaner...Good selection of tools, a drill press, a
hydraulic press, and probably some other things I am leaving out.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)