[tech] Tranny rebuild/compatability Q

In my garage is an 020 tranny out of my 8V Cabriolet.
It wouldn't downshift into 3rd, so I replaced it.
Prob. has a bad synchro or gear.  Driveaxle flanges
are nice and tight.  Has about 90k miles.

In my Scirocco, which needs a clutch BTW, is a nice
original narrow-ratio 020.  It's synchros seem OK,
maybe a little worn at 142K miles.  Driveaxle flanges
are loose and it's leaking at the seals.

Here's what I'm scheming on doing:  When I yank the
'rocc tranny to replace the clutch, I tear both
trannies apart, put new synchros on the 'roc gearset,
and place those shafts into the Cabby tranny with the
nice tight flange bearings.  Of course, seals,
gaskets, etc. too.

So...is this brilliant or a brain fart?  What ain't I
realizing?  Are the driveaxle bearings easy to
replace, negating the need for the above scheme?

I've not been into a VW tranny before (but have done
others), and I hear VW synchro replacement is doable
for a competent home mechanic.

TIA,

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past watercooleds...