Re: Insurance issues with roccos(LONG)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:52:58 EST, Carl wrote:

>    A much as I hate to say it, legal action may be the best, but
> slowest, route for your friend.

Legal action is definetly not the slowest route, and it may very well be the
only route for his friend.  When I filed a claim against an insurance
company that had been delaying payment for 4 weeks after a Fed Ex truck
backed into my Rocco I had a check in hand 5 days later for the cost of the
repair + $350 transportation reimbursement for the time I was without a car
+ $40 to cover the cost of the claim.  In my area (Oregon) after the
defendant is served a small claim he has 14 days to (a) pay the amount of
the claim plus associated court fees or (b) request a trial.  There is *no*
reason to delay in filing a claim.  Once the claim is filed and served you
can send the driver a firm but polite letter justifying the amount of the
claim to persuade him not to request a trial.
  Also, if your friend has not already filed an accident report with the DMV
he should do so ASAP.

Shawn Rader
'81 Rocco S