87 16V Update/questions (long)

So I poked around on the free 16V this weekend.

For those who remembered, the guy gave it to me claiming that it had a bad
thermostat, and a dead starter. And with the fact that he'd removed the new
downpipe and functioning sunroof he'd gotten for the car. I purchased the
downpipe from him and installed it Friday night.

Here's what I found while poking around.
No coolant. Checked hoses and found puncture in upper radiator hose. Put on
spare from junkyard.
Battery cables (both) were very loose on the new Die Hard battery. Charged
up completely dead battery and it started right up. Yeah.

Loud valve lifter noise.
Bought Gunk Engine Flush (5 minute dealie before oil change)
Did oil change, lifter noise gone. :-)

Breather hose has tear by the breather (from oil soak due to broken plastic
dipstick holder). Plugged hole to intake and took for a test drive.

On the first drive she started fine, but after about 5 minutes she started
missing at low RPM. This got worse and after 10 more minutes I had to stop
driving it. The temperature stayed well within normal range. (thermostat is
fine)

Next day I removed and cleaned the spark plugs. They were a little sooty,
but not too bad. One felt like it was not in all the way, i.e. It took no
effort to start unscrewing it. Put all the plugs back in and let it idle for
10 minutes. Drove it around the block and it felt much better. It still
feels like it's missing right when I get on the throttle. But after ~1
second it comes alive like it should. This seems RPM independent, i.e. if
I'm idling it will happen, and it will happen just the same if I'm coasting
at 25 in 1st gear and get on the throttle. Closed throttle switch is
working, I hear it click.

I still plan on doing a checkup of the timing, plug wires, distributor
cap/rotor, maybe coil, and DPR current to see if any light is shed on the
problem. I'll probably check compression too (If I can figure out bow to
tighten up the tester hose way down in that bottomless pit)

Are there any suggestions on anything else to check? I wonder if plugging
the hole by the cold start valve might have thrown things off. I plan on
buying a new/good hose but in the meantime I could try to seal the tear and
reconnect it to see if there is any change.

So far things are looking pretty good, my worst fear is that the cylinder
head is warped due to running out of coolant/overheating. It does not feel
like in from driving it though.

Oh yeah, the brakes are real nice and tight.

thanks for any help,

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8