RE: rustproofing/street car tuning

I'm not much on rustproofing, but then again, I live in Florida ;)

For a daily driver, I'd start with the basics:
-K&N air filter
-Bosch or Mann oil filter (K&N if you're feeling really rich)
-quality oil (I like Castrol GTX)

Make sure all maintenance items are up to date. Stuff like:
-TIMING BELT
-motor mounts (esp. passenger side...do it with the timing belt)
-coolant flush
-good brake fluid flush (I'm actually not attached to Castrol, but I like
Castrol GT-LMA)
-shifter linkage bushings
-no leaks in the exhaust
-rubber steering/cv boots (I let mine go, and now I'm paying for it...)
-etc...

Most of this stuff is cheap/easy, but very important. It may (hopefully!)
seem obvious, but you wouldn't believe how many "performance" people out
there use cheap oil filters, which are known to disintegrate and fill your
engine with filter element fiber (i.e. Fram) :(  The timing belt and motor
mount will cost money if you can't do it yourself, but it is EXTREMELY
important that your timing belt doesn't break. The motor mount will make
your car run smoother (no dash rattles!), transfer power to the wheels
better, and put less stress on the exhaust downpipe. Replacement downpipes
are at least $300 before installation, BTW.

When you're ready for "aftermarket" stuff here's the order I'd go:
-front upper stress bar (Sciroccos are weak at the firewall)
-good tires (I don't need all-seasons in FL, so I use Yoko A-520's)
-rear sway bar (improves handling tremendously...I have a 28mm bar)
-springs/shocks (I'd go with Boge/Bilstein/Koni shocks in order of cost,
with H&R springs)
-TT (or similar) fuel enrichment module

Call Mike Potter at Virtual World (http://www.parts4vws.com) for anything
you need.