[TECH] 215/45/15's on a Mk1

(Smile from ear to ear)
Mounted up the BBS RS's (gold)/Toyo Proxes T1-S 215/45/vr/15's on my Mars81S
and they fit like a wet undersized leather glove.
The gold BBS's against the Mars red paint and on a Mk1 chassis........I just
cant explain how good it looks. :-)

The new tire size for those interested is the same rolling diameter as the
195/50/15 but is ½" (measured) wider sidewall to sidewall.

THEY DO FIT without rolling the fenders with this setup, yours might be
different.

The Results:
In the front:
The tires are about 1/16" from the shock tube (no rubbing)
SS brake line rubs a little w/ tight turns (will fix this tonight)
No clearance problems with lower spring hat
"Wheel" will rub (control arm I think) at complete lock R/L
Perfect spacing in relationship to body

In the rear:
No clearance problems at all with axle or lower spring hat
So far no rubbing from NON-rolled rear inner fenders (I was amazed)
Again, Perfect spacing in relationship to body

Here are the specs:

BBS RS (047) 15X7 with 38mm offset
Toyo Proxes T1-S size 215/45/vr15

Also playing into account:
Neuspeed Progressive Race Springs
Bilstein Sports
1 ½ deg. Neg camber (front)
stock camber (rear)
No front swaybar (just for now)
Autotech 25mm rear swaybar
16V lower strut tie-bar
Neuspeed upper strut tie-bar
No rear upper tie-bar
No roll cage/bar

My analysis:
When I drove on these the first time (1am this morn) it was raining heavily
and there were puddles everywhere.
I tried to drive on sections of the road that would compress the suspension
and it did, no rubbing from the rear or front.
I pushed the car harder and harder in corners and the tires just stuck like
glue, even going through deep puddles.
If you are looking for new tires for rainy areas I'd highly recommend these.
Of course the fact that the tires that were replaced were my 195/50/15 Yoko
AVS's helped tremendously.
They are also much quieter and I felt less harshness compared to the AVS's.
Final test will be to see if they are as fast on dry as the AVS's.
I'll post pic's soon.
Stay tuned......

Any questions, e-mail me off list.

Randy B
Mars 81S - techtonics tuning 1847cc 8V (new shiny shoes)
Cosmos 81S - future project - dreaming of 200-220hp.
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver