Re: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

At 02:42 PM 12/15/00 , VWMikeLVW@aol.com wrote:

Well,...those vehicles will meet their demise in a few years, anyway. There
was a bill passed a while back where all the SUV's must meet car emissions
standards rather than those for a truck by the year 2004. I don't see how
they can keep going at the rate they are with those constraints. Chevy is so
behind the times in terms of engine technology, I don't know what they would
do.

Woohoo!! I hadn't heard about that one!

Is it just emissions, or also fuel economy (though they tend to go hand-in-hand.  Tend... I said TEND).

The amazing thing is that GM's antiquated engine designs are actually incredible fuel efficient.  I remember seeing (or reading) a report about the venerable 3.8 liter pushrod V6... apparently it is one of the most efficient engines produced today -- in terms of fuel efficiency and emissions...

Of course they've been developing and refining that engine since the year of the flood.  Their SUV engines are pigs, period...   But they're coming out with the whole new family of modular inline 4- 5- and 6-cylinders -- so maybe they'll revolutionize GM!

(I'm not holding my breath!)

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro