Re: Broken Timing belt: What should I do now?

Before this gets too pessimistic --

Didn't we discuss this not too long ago about timing belt snaps on the 16V
-- it seemed to me that it was "only" about a 60-70% chance of damage...

There were quite a few people on the list who had belts snap with no probs,
right?

Jason

At 01:42 PM 12/15/00 , Ian Overholt wrote:
>You could try putting another belt on and see if it runs.  But I would
>recommend pulling the head and inspecting/rebuilding it.  Since you turned
>the engine over without the cams turning, I'd say you have a 99% chance
>that the valves are bent.  What are the chances that the cams had all the
>valves closed while your pistons were moving?  Not good, I'd say.
>
>The silver lining to this cloud is you now have an opportunity to get
>headwork done.  I know, it's not in the budget, but...  You can remove any
>carbon buildup from the pistons, replace noisy lifters, get a nice port &
>polish job, etc.  Your bottom end should be solid.  Unless you find lots
>of wear on the cylinder walls, you don't need to rebuild the bottom
>end.  I know you need to get your car running again quickly, but you might
>want to consider renting a cheap car or borrowing a friend's/family
>member's car to buy you a couple of weeks so you can really do this
>right.  Or you can buy another car, and transfer all the good parts from
>your current car, then part out the rest.  Or you can just drop a whole
>different motor in.  You have a lot of options. GL!
>
>Ian Overholt
>'88 16v
>'78 Champagne Edition

1987 Scirocco 16v