Re: Broken Timing belt: What should I do now?

You could try putting another belt on and see if it runs.  But I would
recommend pulling the head and inspecting/rebuilding it.  Since you turned
the engine over without the cams turning, I'd say you have a 99% chance that
the valves are bent.  What are the chances that the cams had all the valves
closed while your pistons were moving?  Not good, I'd say.

The silver lining to this cloud is you now have an opportunity to get
headwork done.  I know, it's not in the budget, but...  You can remove any
carbon buildup from the pistons, replace noisy lifters, get a nice port &
polish job, etc.  Your bottom end should be solid.  Unless you find lots of
wear on the cylinder walls, you don't need to rebuild the bottom end.  I
know you need to get your car running again quickly, but you might want to
consider renting a cheap car or borrowing a friend's/family member's car to
buy you a couple of weeks so you can really do this right.  Or you can buy
another car, and transfer all the good parts from your current car, then
part out the rest.  Or you can just drop a whole different motor in.  You
have a lot of options. GL!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition