Re: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

At 12:38 AM 12/15/00 , Dan Brideau wrote:
> > Plus, there are other reasons we don't have a
> > Lupo, Audi A2 or A3, Mercedes A-Class, Rover
> > MGF, etc etc.  Even if we could get tiny cars
> > like that to pass our crash tests,
> > who would want them?
>

>Same folks who scrape to buy Hyundai or Yugo..
>poor people, lower class, working stiffs.  I hate
>it when government uses its power to force me to
>adopt someone else's standard for safety.
>Conforming to crash tests is a perfect example of
>bureaucratic waste that fucks over the poor.
>
>Tiny cars are cheap.

A ha! You hit the nail perfectly on the head.

In the *States*, tiny cars are cheap.  In Europe, they aren't
necessarily.  The US is a car market that has no real size-constraints --
so we generally assume that the bigger the car, the more expensive it will
be.  That isn't necessarily the case in Europe.  I mean, think about it
just for a second -- the Golf isn't exactly a cheap car for its
size.  Actually, it's an outrageous price if you consider its size -- and
that's the reason it doesn't sell well here.  For the price of a loaded
Golf, you can get a completely decked-out Cirrus -- which is considerably
larger.  Or a topped-out Malibu, or a nicely equipped Intrepid!

Same goes for the rest of the German marques -- a 3-series and a C-Class
are only slightly bigger than a Civic or Corolla -- and yet they're twice
the price.  And why not -- I mean, Americans with cheap gas and lots of
space want big big big -- why have a subcompact for $25,000 when you can
have a mid-size for the same price?

Polos and Lupos really aren't that cheap.  Yeah, of course, with a 1.0
liter 4, they're $10,000 -- but equipped the way that people (i.e. most
people) would want them in the states, they're closer to the prices of a
Civic or Corolla-- the current horrendous exchange rates
notwithstanding.  Which brings us back to the mentality that bigger is
better and why have a microcompact like a Polo for $18,000 when you can
have a mid-size Cirrus?

I agree with you totally, but the market just isn't there.  People here
don't want to spend lots of money for little cars.  If they did, we'd see
the same small cars as exist in Europe- - but there's a reason they exist
there.  Someone making decent money who wants a comfortable,
well-performing car over there might consider a Polo with leather, climate
control, sunroof, i.e. all the goodies, rather than buying a bigger car
because (a) their taxes (i.e. registration) is NOT cheap and is based on CC
displacement, (b) their gas is 4x the price of ours, (c) the roads are
considerably smaller, (d) insurance is higher, and (e) it's tough to fit a
mid-size car (i.e. Audi A4) into some parking lots.

Big cars are completely impractical in Germany.  We had an Audi 90 20V and
a Opel Kadett GSi when I lived over there.  My parents fought over the Opel
even though it was clearly the lesser car, just because there were some
parking lots and spaces that it just didn't fit in.  It was a pain in the
ass, period.  I can't imagine living with an S-Class sized car in
Germany.  By doing so, you're going out of your way to make life miserable
for yourself.

We don't have that problem here until you reach Excursion-sized.  The
3-series is a mid-size car over there, and it's (barely) considered a
"compact" here.  The 5-series is a big car there, it's piddly here.... it's
only slightly bigger than a Camry.

So it's only natural that there's no market for small, expensive cars.  VW
has learned that and concentrated their efforts on larger cars for the US
-- namely the Passat, the Audi cars, and the forthcoming S-Class competitor.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org