Re: [comment] VWoA...WTF?

At 04:44 PM 12/14/00 , VWMikeLVW@aol.com wrote:

The answer is simply, VW has their head up their ass. They are trying to
compete against more expensive cars in the US and couldn't give a rats ass if
the "enthusiast" might want something a little different. What I wouldn't
give for a Lupo,...but will they ever bring us anything that cool? doubtful.
Instead they think americans only want big cars, that's why the Golf is
almost the size of a minivan now and has lost most of it's agility. The GTI
is a joke, and has totally run off course from what it once was and intended
to be. How much does a Lupo cost in Germany, anyway? Maybe I can bring one in
through Canada. Ok....that's my rant.

Okay, this list has been too quiet lately... time for Jason to drum up a fight. :)
Just kidding...

Yeah, but while I don't disagree that there are European models that I want too, the fact remains that VW is a company -- and let's face it.  As a company, VW's job is not to make cars, it's to make money.  So, despite the fact that we don't get what we want, VW is doing their job by not bringing cars here that won't sell.

Plus, there are other reasons we don't have a Lupo, Audi A2 or A3, Mercedes A-Class, Rover MGF, etc etc.  Even if we could get tiny cars like that to pass our crash tests, who would want them?  For better or worse (worse, obviously), everyone in this country seems to want bigger cars -- can you imagine what would happen if a Lupo had a head-on with an Excursion?  It's probably better that we don't have them --  Europe doesn't have Excursions, and I bet some people over there want them just as much as we want Lupos and Polos.  But the fact remains that majority wins -- if it won't sell, we won't get it.  And I am pretty confident saying that neither the Lupo or the Polo would sell well in the USA.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org