RE: What is it with me and bum 'roccos???

With any older car, you will have certain repairs that will be necessary,
either as a result of neglect or normal wear.  Most of the stuff with my '84
was due to neglect, but my '82 needed a clutch and seals, a brain, a
fuse/relay panel, and a CV joint.  These are what I consider wear items.  CV
joints don't go bad because you didn't maintain them; the boots wear out and
the joint goes bad.  The fuse/relay panel is common to replace on
watercooled VWs.  Clutches can be abused, but they also wear out because of
how they function.

Consider the cost per mile for owning an older VW...they're easy to work on,
A1 parts are cheap, and once you get all the wear/neglect items out of the
way, you have an extremely reliable car that's fuel efficient and a blast to
drive.  Much cheaper than going out and buying a new car, and where can you
get a new car that's this much fun?

I don't know specifics, but it sounds like your problems have been
relatively minor (transaxle still intact, all rods still connected to the
crankshaft, etc.).  I would recommend thoroughly inspecting the brakes,
drivetrain, suspension, etc., and repairing what's necessary.  That should
keep you going a long time with relatively few problems.

Good luck, and enjoy...
Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle