Re: Option for engine swap for 81 'rocco S

>From: John Lagnese <jlagnese@cybertours.com>
>
>To do this type of swap is there a problem because there is no transfer
>pump?
>John

The transfer pump is not needed. The RD motor (what's in the GTI) is one of
the best 8v motors VW made. IMHO it is the only 1.8l 8V motor to swap into a
Mk1 (the exception is for turbo Apps, where the lower compression of the JH
or G60 block makes sense)

Everything plugs right in like it was on the Mk1. You don't even need to
remove the valve cover! Just transfer over your intake manifold, exhaust
manifold, injectors plug right in, and your tranny bolts right up (or you
could use the 9A that came with the GTI, but I don't like the 3.67 final
drive ratio, personally). Use your old mounts if they are still good (but
this is the absolute best time to replace them)  You can use the bigger
radiator, and overflow tank of the GTI, as well as the upper radiator hose.
Don't bother with the CIS-E stuff, you don't need it. Only if you want to do
a "smog legal" swap and plan on taking it to a smog referee (in Cali) for
validation is the full injection system necessary.

Your one choice is what to do about the ignition. You could keep the system
that was used on the 81, and just run Premium gas all the time. Or you could
transfer over the Knock sensing system that was used on the GTI. Pretty easy
to do, you just need to sort out the wiring. And be sure to use the throttle
body that came with the GTI (it already has the switches you need) The only
reason not to do the Knock Sensing system is if your smog inspectors are
really anal.

Add a cam and an exhaust and your 81 will scream. You will love it.
You can sell the rear disk brakes, and the interior. You can also sell the
9A tranny if you decide not to use it. And then part the rest out and you'll
make back quite a bit of the $500 you paid for it. The exterior trim pieces
and fender flares are popular. Ebay, baby.

I have an RD block in my 78. It's pretty tired, but it still runs with the
best of 'em.

LMK if you have any other Q's.

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0