Scirocco 1 troubleshooting

Ok, this is on my 80 Scirocco S. I tried troubleshooting it today and this is
how it went. I lined up the timing marks and checked timing...I found the
ignition timing to be way off. I put it about where it should be and crankd
it. I got a sputter, and at one point got a little dieseling. I then checked
the plugs,..noticed they were black and replaced them. After that, it
wouldn't sputter at all. I discovered the fuel pump not running (it was
running earlier) and switched the relay out with one from my 77 Rabbit. Still
nothing. I then jumpered the relay and it turned on. Now, I am not positive
that I am getting a spark at this point. I played around with the multimeter
for a while and noticed that I only have about 6-7 volts at the coil. Battery
voltage is close to 12 volts. It has points ignition as well. The car also
cranks slow for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas here? Why the! voltage
drop?

Thanks in Advance.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)