poor starting for cold weather

My 87 16v is starting poorly with the cold weather. If
it weren't for the new battery it wouldn't start at
all. I let the starter crank for a few seconds then
stop. I repeat this about thirty seconds later. Five
minutes of this and it started this morning. Tonight
the temps are dropping to -15.  At this point it is
safe to say this isn't caused by the ignition system,
all that checks out. After the car finally starts, it
runs fine.

Things I plan on checking for are:

1.  cold start valve
2.  vacuum leaks
3. auxiliary air valve
4. cold control air pressure

Any other ideas out there would be greatly
appreciated. I would also like to apologize for not
paying attention when this topic came up last week.

TIA

=====
Jorel Jackson
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos