[tech] CV? question

OK, so this car has pissed me off too much....I'm gonna sell it, but first a question:

Car:  88 Golf

Now the Question:  when I drive the car, it makes a noise like a machine gun (although not as loud or dramatic).  only when I'm coasting though.......if I accelerate or brake the noise goes away.  I assume this noise is coming from the CVs.  When I bolted the axles up to the tranny (I actually had a mech do it cause It was too cold in my garage), I had to use washers instead of the proper 3 plates for each side because I lost the old ones and it would take a week to get them from the dealer.  Could the missing plates be the problem, or are my CV(s) F%$#ed?   ??

History:
I just replaced the old ASF tranny with a 9A because the ASF was toast.  after the tranny was in, I realized that I had to change the axles because the old tranny had 90mm flanges (even though they were supposed to be 100).  Not a problem, I'll just take the axles from the car I got the tranny from.  So finally, weeks after I started the swap (it's been really cold here), I got it all pretty much finished except for a few tidbits.

Sorry for the length of this, I just need to fix this car so I can sell it.  this car has pissed me off too much, plus I have found something else

TIA

Casey
84 Roc
88 Golf  <--anyone interested???  haha
86 GLi  will be parting out, but not till spring when it's warm
84 Jetta (probably)