Re: Tranny

>So I go to my local VW performance shop and have my distributor replaced and
>ordered a hose to repair a vacuum leak causing my car not to start properly.
>On my way home I decided to open her up a little.  As I reached about 105mph
>I felt something go and smell something burning under the hood.  To make a
>long story short my tranny blew.  Now for my question, my local shop has a 4K
>tranny from a GTI, that they are sending to a trans shop to get a bolt kit
>put in it.  They said I can have the trans, a new clutch, rear main seal, and
>lightened flywheel installed (45 dollars an hour for labor) for $1250.  This
>seems a little high to me what about you guys.

Yeah, pricey.  An expensive 4K would be $250.  A mildly expensive tranny
rebuild would be $550 (including new parts like synchos and bolt kit),
and an expensive clutch, seals, and lightened flywheel would be $300,
and an expensive transmission install would be $150.  So, yeah, it
adds up. :)  Move the numbers around a bit to suit, but bottom line
is that you could probably do 10%-20% better if you searched around. It's
all a matter of time vs money naturally.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net