Re: need a hoist for xmas-michigan

In a message dated 12/6/00 7:26:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tberk@mindspring.com writes:

I have made such a piece back in my pre Internet days witht he && (RIP)
and the important info is-

- It must fit in the area normally occupied by the hood, not on top of
the Fenders themselves lest you leave marks.

- Cut a 2x4 in half and trim to fit.

- Strap the two pieces together. (I suppose a 4x4 from the outset would
work as well).

- Drill a hole through the middle and run an eye bolt with chain to
secure the engine.

Now you can support the engine while you disconnect the motor mounts, I
know this doesn't lift the block out BUT it was originally intended to
support the engine while you pull the transaxle.

I did something similar to this a couple of years ago,...I took a 2x4 that
was cut to fit inside the fenders, and drilled a hole over the eye on the
right side of the head. I then took a peice of all-thread and used one of
those long connecting nut things to thread a hook onto the end. After that, I
put the all-thread through the hole and used a nut and washer on top of the
board to raise or lower it. With this, and the assistance of a jack, I can
raise an engine and transmission into position. HTH

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)