RE: 160 MPH Speedometer (moto vs VDO)

>There's an overpriced ($99 or so) cluster with a 160 speedo on Ebay right
>now. I see no point in spending that much for a used speedo that we all know
>will break soon. But to each his (or her) own...
>
>Anyone know the life expectancy of a Motometer vs. VDO?
>
>Greg :)

Well, having taken apart more then my fair share of gauge clusters (ha!),
I can say for certainty that the Motometer is built far better then the
VDO unit.  The VDO unit uses plastic gears in places where the Moto uses
metal, and the trip odo reset internals are a flimsy plastic excuse on the
VDO while the Moto stuff is solid and metal.  I fixed my 160 VDO a couple
of years (non working odo of course), but I'd rather have a Moto...

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net