Re: [A2 Jetta] Exhaust suggestions

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:16:02 -0500 Brian C Barrows <ferret100@juno.com>
writes:
> I have heard that the exhaust system put on my Jetta is one of the
> worst designs ever inflicted upon a car.  Will a cat-back system really
be
> worthwhile on this thing, or do I really need to replace the
> manifold as well to get any significant power increase?
>
> Thanks,
> B.
>
> '82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
> '85 Jetta
> '87 Porsche 944

The cat-back exhaust will make more of a difference, with a dual downpipe
setup.
The 4 into 1 manifold is really restrictive...

I just installed the dual manifold and downpipe, on an '87 Golf, along
with a 55mm cat and a TT cat back exhaust.
Instead of using the heated O2 sensor, I had an O2 fitting welded to the
downpipe, and just plugged the O2 hole on the cat.

Dennis Bjork, [mailto:jo301@MailAndNews.com], was amazed how much better
the car felt, more power all around,
and especially on the mid range and high end.

I have the Autotech 2 1/4" aluminized, 50mm cat-back from my girl's '86
GLi, with a brand new Supertubo muffler,
there is some light rust, but it's not bad at all. If you want a loud
exhaust, this exhaust is not for you,
it is right down quiet with the 2 mufflers and a cat.
Several people have asked about the exhaust, but nobody has claimed it,
$100 plus shipping or a possible trade.

New direct fit 50mm cats are $110, if you can't find a good used exhaust
dual exhaust manifold,
I can get new exhaust manifolds for $135, and new A2 Jetta TT cat backs
for $180.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car