Re: Bolt pattern question.

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:16:39 -0500 "Christian Els" <tian@usiw.net>
writes:
> When measuring the bolt pattern , it is the diameter of the circle
> all the holes lie on that it measured, for example 4x100 is 4 holes on
> 100mm circle. With an even number of lug bolts you can just measure
across
> opposite sides, center to center (or top to top/bottom to bottom,
> whatever is easiest...) to get the bolt circle.
>
> On cars with odd numbers of lugs (e.g. VR-6 cars), there is a little
> math or graphic aid involvement required.

On a 5 lug you can measure from the outside of one hole, to the center of
the one across the hub.

> > --- Travis Bedford <tmb16v@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > When measuring a bolt pattern, do I measure the
> > > closest distance between the
> > > lug holes across, the middle, or from the outer part
> > > of the hole to the
> > > other?
It is measured from center to center across the wheel, like Christian
said.

> > Don't know how to do that, but all watercooled VW 4
> > lugs are 4X100.
Yes, but they don't all have the proper offset for a Scirocco.
The center to center rule can come in handy when checking if a particular
set of Audi wheels will fit, or not.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V